Before even receiving my Mendel90 kit I knew that I’d need to prepare a power supply, since Nophead does not include one on kits shipped to the US. I’m pretty particular about power supply quality so I went ahead and got a Corsair CX430M, a very nice ATX supply which is probably overkill for this project. All the same, I’ve had too many experiences in which a bad power supply can mess up a project with difficult to diagnose problems.
Note that there is a very comprehensive guide to making these modifications on the RepRap wiki, as well as some specific steps in Nophead’s assembly instruction pdf.
Basically I ended up with the following outputs:
- +12V (yellow bundle)
- ground (black bundle)
- Two extra ground wires, just in case (black)
- Two +5V wires, for an Arduino etc (red)
- Standby power wire, just in case (purple)
- Soldered PWR ON to ground lead (green/black)
- +3.3V bundle, capped off, again just in case (orange)